Colonia marina "Principi di Piemonte"
Colonie marine -
|Colonia marina "Santo Spirito"|
- Partito Nazionale di Fascista Dopolavoro,
Ospedalieri - Ospedali dei Pio Istituto di S. Spirito ed Ospedali Riuniti di Roma
ruins of the colonia marina "Principi di Piemonte" today give only an
idea of the flamboyant design of the brothers Lenzi in the 1930ies. According
to its many functions the building complex was designed extremely differentiated
and is therefore one of the most interesting exponents of this typology
of colonies. Towards north the wide U-shape complex is defined by a four
storey building for the dormitories. Along the beach lies a long stretched
two storey part for with a terrace in front. At the south the complex
closes with a flat rotunda of a dining hall giving the shape to the roll
call ground around. The centre of this ground was marked by a flag pole.
A quiet special detail of the roll call ground is an altar where open
air serviced could be held.
As the colony was built nothing existed at this coastal area but a medieval castle. Not until the post war years the area around the colony was settled.
The colony was transformed and rebuilt several times. Loggias and windows were closed, the façade equalized and an iron pergola with staircase was added. For years the building is abandoned and lies in decay.
per le colonie di vacanza. Esperienze europee, ed. Valter Balducci,
Firenze 2005, p. 19
Cities of Childhood. Italian Colonie of the 1930s, ed. Alex Wall u. Stefano de Martino, London 1988, p. 22
[La] colonia marina a S. Severa, in: Rassegna di Architettura, no. 6, 1934
Domus, no. 659, p. 27, 28
Minucci, Gaetano, Una colonia marina a S. Severa, In: Architettura, no. 3, 1934, pp. 141-150
Moretti, Bruno, Ospedali, Milano 1935, p. 273
Una colonia marina a S. Severa, In: Casabella, no. 76, 1934